Saturday, February 9, 2013

Keto Pizza

Well, I'm still going strong with keto.  At this point, I'm almost a month in and around 10 pounds down.  I'm really struggling with pizza cravings right now.  I feel like every other commercial on TV is Pizza Hut, Domino's, or a local pizza place.  I realize the first two don't sound so great to a lot of people, but I am by no means a pizza snob.  As long as it has some sauce, cheese, and pepperoni on it, I'll give it a shot.  I decided to see if I could track down any keto pizza recipes on Pinterest.  There were quite a few listed, but I decided to try the one that uses cheese and almond meal for the crust.  Let's just say it went extremely well.

 

Read on...

First up, source found here.

What you need:
  • 3 cups of shredded cheddar and mozzarella
  • 12 tablespoons almond flour
  • 1 egg
Microwave the cheese until it is melted.  Mix in the almond flour and the egg using your hands (and being careful not to burn your hands!).  Now it's time to cook your crust in a non-stick pan.  You'll probably need to "smoosh" it into a pancake shape in the pan.  Also note that Jeff divided the dough between two pans to make two small crusts.  If you want to make one crust, you'll need to use a fairly large pan or you'll risk the crust being too thick to cook properly.


When the side of the crust that's cooking is golden brown, flip it to cook on the other side.  There were several complaints from the original source that said the crust broke when flipped.  According to the recipe maker, these crusts weren't cooked long enough before flipping.



When your crust has finished cooking, cool it.  Add your toppings and bake at 350 degrees until the pizza looks done.  We dressed ours with a small amount of pizza sauce, pepperoni, fresh mozzarella, and some sprinkled Parmesan and baked it on our giant stone.  You can also use the broiler to brown the cheese at the end.


This pizza is super filling, but my craving was so strong I downed a whole pizza by myself.  It was super delicious and fulfilled my craving.  All is once again well in Sarah's land of keto.

No comments:

Post a Comment