Saturday, July 5, 2014

Wedding DIY Part 2: Table Luminaries and a Card Box

I'm back for another installment of wedding DIYs featuring table luminaries and a card box.


As I stated in my last post, I like things that light up.  I made light up initials and my centerpieces will have water beads with glowing LEDs in them.  Why shouldn't my table numbers match?  This whole idea started when bridesmaid HK found a slew of table number luminaries on Pinterest.  They totally sparked my interest and I decided I had to make my own.

What you need:
  • Card stock in your colors
  • Die cutter(I used one for free at Ben Franklin with purchase of paper)
  • Vellum
  • Plain white paper
  • Glue stick
  • LED light
  1. Choose your card stock and the shape you want your luminary to be.  I decided on a three sided shape, but I have seen others done as short squares or cylinders.  Mark any measurements needed for folding.
  2. Decide on a font and size for numbers from your die choices.  Be sure to consider where you will be placing it on your card stock and that it fits within any marks you made for folding.
  3. Carefully position the die on your card stock and roll it through.  I highly suggest doing a first draft since the machine can be difficult to use.  Be sure to save any pieces (such as the middle of the 0, 6, 8, and 9) since you'll need them later.
  4. Make any folds needed.
  5. Cut the vellum to fit over the numbers on the inside and glue in place.  Glue the middle leftover sections mentioned above to the vellum.
  6. Cut your plain white paper to line your luminary and glue it inside.  It helps intensify the glow!
  7. Glue your luminary together at the seam and place over your LED light.  Turn it on and enjoy the magic!
Finally, I come to my card box.  This really wasn't difficult to make.  I ordered these boxes and went to town constructing.


What you need:
  • Boxes in assorted sizes
  • Craft knife
  • Paint
  • Paintbrush
  • Hot glue gun
  • Embellishments (I used a rhinestone mesh)
  1. Decide how you would like to stack your boxes and make a plan of how you'll need to cut them so there will be enough room for large cards to fall to the bottom.
  2. Cut the bottoms and lids of your boxes according to your plan making sure not to cut the bottom of the bottom box or the lid of the top box.
  3. Cut a slot in the lid of the top box for the cards to enter.
  4. Paint all pieces of your boxes.  It may take several coats.
  5. Carefully hot glue your boxes together in the desired order.  Make sure to glue the lids to the boxes in additional to gluing the boxes on top of each other.  The whole point is that whatever goes in doesn't come out until you're ready!
  6. Decorate!
I'm so excited to see all my DIY projects and planning come together soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment